How To Block Someone On Instagram
The Instagram app has not only done well for itself but has also empowered numerous people all over the world by giving them a platform to showcase their talents to the world.
This simple photo-sharing application has billions of users, and each account is like a photo journal that tells the story of the owners’ lives.
Social media has turned the world into a ‘global village’, where everyone can be accessed all the time and at the drop of a hat.
And that probably was the idea of social media—to bring friends and acquaintances close by transcending the boundaries of their geographical locations.
But nothing goes untarnished in this world, and social media is no exception.
Its integrity was maligned as more and more people became victims of cyber crimes committed through social media.
Some people use social media as a tool to stalk, threaten, and bully other people.
This is why the Instagram block feature is implemented into every social media platform, including Instagram, to ward off unwanted Instagram followers.
Why do people use the blocking feature?
When you are a member of a social media platform, your life becomes like an open book.
And if you are an avid user of social media and like to keep your friends and followers updated about your life, you share a big part of your identity with the entire world.
Your life no longer remains private, and personal information becomes public property.
However, Instagram’s block feature has brought some relief by letting Instagram downloaders choose who can see, comment, like, and share their posts or stories.
- Suppose you own a business and use Instagram to engage your clients by advertising new services, and you don’t want your competitors to see your posts or stories, you can block them.
- Your workplace may have nosy colleagues who always keep a tight watch on your activities. You may choose to block them to keep your professional life separate from your personal life.
- You have a stalker who always leaves creepy messages and sleazy comments on your posts and stories. You can block them.
Read more : How to report a problem to Instagram – Simple ways to report on Instagram
Ways to block people on Instagram
- Go to the profile of the person you want to block on Instagram
- Tap the three dots icon that appears on the top right-hand-side corner of their profile.
- The three dots icon will appear as a small circular icon if you have an Apple device.
- Click on block and confirm your action.
Check out Lifewire’s post to see how you can block someone from Instagram using your desktop.
What happens when you block someone?
- Blocking a person restricts them from seeing any of your Instagram likes, posts, and comments.
- The blocked person will not be able to send you direct messages.
- They, however, will be able to mention your username, but this won’t come up in your activities.
- The Instagram likes and comments that the blocked person may have left on your posts will still be there. However, you can manually delete their comments.
- If the blocked person and you have mutual followers, they will still be able to see your comments on the other followers’ posts.
- The blocked person’s account will automatically get unfollowed.
Although Instagram does not let people know when they are blocked, you might want to change your username to be absolutely sure that they cannot mention you anywhere. Read more on Instagram’s blocking policy here.
How can you block Instagram comments?
- Go to your own profile
- Tap on settings
- Go to Comment Controls
- Choose Block Comments From
- Enter the person’s username that you want to block comments from
- Click on block and seal your action.
Instagram also has a feature that blocks offensive comments. It also lets you block comments that have specific words in them. You get to choose these words.
What is Instagram private viewer?
It is sad that some people who have no respect for other people’s privacy continuously try to bypass privacy settings.
This has led to the birth of tools like Instagram private viewer.
Do not be worried. Instagram takes security issues seriously and would not allow breaches of any kind to take place.
Important things to remember and precautions to take
- You may have blocked someone on Instagram, but forgot to block them on Facebook. They will be able to see your Instagram photos if you share them on Facebook. So, be careful.
- If your stalker is tenacious, they might create a fake profile and send you a follow request. Before accepting your new follow requests, make sure that you know the person.
- Make your profile private. If it isn’t, the blocked person may use a friend’s Instagram account to keep tabs on you. Follow the steps below to make your profile private:
- Go to your profile and select settings.
- You will find an Account Privacy tab under settings.
- Turn on the Private Account mode, and you’ll be all done.
With the incidence of cyber crimes rising by the day, it is important to enable Instagram security features.
A platform like Instagram, where people share photos of themselves, is especially vulnerable as these images can be accessed by anyone in the world.
So enable your privacy settings and keep yourself hidden from prying eyes.
Learn more : Instagram Live is not working. How to Fix it in Few minutes?